Sonia King, mosaic artist, creates contemporary art mosaics for gallery, architectural, community and home settings. Her award-winning mosaic art is exhibited both nationally and internationally and is represented in private, public and corporate collections.
A mosaic opens a creative dialogue between the artist and the viewer. A dialogue guided by the interplay of light and texture, the manipulation of scale, the discovery of the unknown potential of natural materials, the mastery of technique and the artist’s dedication to the process of picking up one tessera, placing it and then choosing the piece that goes next to it.
Sonia King’s work presents a uniquely personal expression of the power of mosaic art to challenge the viewer and engage the senses: visual, tactile and emotional. The work is filled with the joy of discovery. Seemingly limitless blends of materials are woven together into complex compositions that are organic and familiar but stimulate the imagination. These mosaics explore the dynamic tension created when familiar organic shapes can be seen as both macro and micro visions of our landscape. Shapes that are simultaneously at rest and moving, pulling the tesserae together into a complex composition while exploring the interaction of each element and the mystery of the spaces between.
"Mosaic is hard. Art is harder." - Sonia King
NEWS ABOUT SONIA KING MOSAIC ARTIST
• Follow the progress on Sonia's exciting, new site-specific commission for Hall Arts in the Dallas Arts District.
• Join Sonia for an intensive five-day mosaic workshop on the sun-drenched island of Paros in Greece.
• The Texas Sculpture Association recently invited Sonia to speak at the Nasher Sculpture Center in Dallas. Here's a video of the short slide presentation.
• Sonia will be teaching "Intergrating Found Objects in Mosaics" in November at West Dean College in the south of England.
• Sonia's newest mosaic, Coded Message: Dark Secret was first shown in the Masters Invitational at Mosaic Arts International 2014.
• Depthfinder has been acquired by the Museo d'Arte della Città di Ravenna (MAR). It's the first mosaic by an American to be included in the MAR's permanent collection of contemporary mosaic art.
• Coded Message: Invisible Ink II won the 'Publikumspreis' (or Audience Prize) in the Exhibition of Contemporary Mosaic at the recent Congress of the Associazione Internazionale Mosaicista Contemporanei in Vienna, Austria.
• Here's the full version of the profile feature on Sonia in American Craft magazine, "Souvenirs of a Journey".
• Watch a short video interview with Sonia: Creating Mosaic Art
• In Memorium - Sherri King
For daily items of interest for mosaic lovers, join over 9,000 others and 'like' the Sonia King Mosaic Artist page on Facebook. Join Sonia on her mosaic journey.
"The extraordinary thing about Sonia King's work is her ability to create homogeny without sacrificing the individuality of her materials. Each segment is uniquely alluring, but when assembled together becomes an engaging masterpiece." - American Lifestyle Magazine
"King creates whole new worlds and galaxies that are exquisitely crafted and almost magnetic for the viewer." - Mosaic Art NOW
"Sonia King has searched out gentle terrains within the natural world in order to provide us with intimate views of our environment. Her mosaics are abstract landscapes that are both familiar and complex."
- JoAnn Locktov, Author, The Art of Mosaic Design
Site updated 8 December 2014